If you are injured on the job because of the fault of someone other than your employer, you can bring a personal injury action against the person/company at fault. A complication in this type of lawsuit is that the employer/insurer that paid workers’ compensation benefits has a right to be reimbursed from the money recovered in the personal injury lawsuit. This is called a right of subrogation, and can sometimes leave little money for the injured worker.
We recently settled a personal injury lawsuit for $600,000. The employer that paid workers compensation benefits tried to claim a right to nearly $280,000 of the settlement as reimbursement. This would have left very little money for our client. We filed suit against the employer and asked the Court to reduce the reimbursement amount. The Court agreed with our position and reduced the reimbursement to approximately $45,000. The employer appealed the decision.
We prepared legal briefs and appeared in the appellate court to argue the case. We are happy to report that the appellate court upheld the decision in favor of our client. This great result put an additional $235,000 in our client’s pocket. This was a hard-fought win for a very deserving client.
The worker’s compensation portion of the practice is led by Charles Buchanan, along with his son, Andrew Buchanan. Learn more about our experience and results with Workers Compensation cases in Missouri:
- Workers Compensation Attorneys
- Missouri Workers Compensation Guide
- Workers Comp Missouri
- $1,000,000 Workers Comp Settlement
- Workers Comp Case Earns Large Interest Award
- $132,500 for Back Injury at Work in Missouri
- Greater Protection for Injured Workers in Missouri
- $250,000 in Workers Compensation Benefits to Widow
- $132,500 for Client In Slip and Fall at Work Settlements
- Workers’ Compensation Retaliation Claim Ends Successfully
- $175,000 For Injured Employee In Arachnoiditis Case
- $1.09 Million Settlement in Worker’s Compensation Case
- $760,000 Accident at Workplace Settlement
- $462,000 Settlement For BWO Client With Injured Back
- $255,000 for BWO Client Injured at Work in Missouri
- $210,000 for Client Injured in Forklift Accident in Missouri
- BWO Client Gets $65,000 for Work Comp Discrimination
- Great Result for Injured Truck Driver After Collision